My favorite quote:

Keep what is worth keeping and with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away."

Dunah Mulock Craik

April 1826 - 12 October 1887

Your Clutter Free Journey

Take the first step on your Clutter Free Journey to living a beautiful, clutter free life! On your journey, you will examine your relationship with the stuff in your life and it's impact on your overall well-being. You will learn to make choices over what you invite into your home. The way we feel inside is directly reflected in our living spaces. In turn, our living spaces affect our internal well-being. By making small, steady changes in our living environment, we can change how we feel inside and make our homes a reflection of what is important to us.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Polishing Silver

Day 65 of 100

I have always loved to polish silver. I remember when I saw the movie Grease in 1978 and desperately wanted the record album. I had no money, so my mom told me if I worked and did extra chores that Saturday, I could earn the cash I needed to make my purchase. I remember cleaning the oven and polishing every piece of silver we owned. It is such an immediate sense of satisfaction, with just some silver polish and a little elbow grease, a tarnished, darkened piece is magically transformed to a bright, shiny and beautiful object.

Today as I polished silver, I had many on my mind. I thought of my grandmother, Meme, whose baby cup was engraved with her name, my dad's name and mine, my great grandmother, Josie whose dish is engraved with her initials, my mother in law, Charlotte, as I loving polished a tray given to her parents on their 50th wedding anniversary. She gave this to me a month before she died. All these are treasured and cherished items that I love caring for. Just looking at them, brings me joy, as they remind me of my loved ones.

What pieces in your home bring happy memories of those you love? Are you honoring these memories by caring for them and making them a part of your home and life?

No comments:

Post a Comment