My favorite quote:

Keep what is worth keeping and with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away."

Dunah Mulock Craik

April 1826 - 12 October 1887

Your Clutter Free Journey

Take the first step on your Clutter Free Journey to living a beautiful, clutter free life! On your journey, you will examine your relationship with the stuff in your life and it's impact on your overall well-being. You will learn to make choices over what you invite into your home. The way we feel inside is directly reflected in our living spaces. In turn, our living spaces affect our internal well-being. By making small, steady changes in our living environment, we can change how we feel inside and make our homes a reflection of what is important to us.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Collards and Kale

Day 88 of 100

I love all vegetables, particularly, dark green, leafy ones! They are full of vitamins and minerals and a great source of fiber! They also are another way to get calcium. Research studies suggest that dark green vegetables may prevent certain types of cancers and promote heart health! Just this week, I prepared a large batch of both Kale and Collard Greens for my family.

When I met Tim, he ate very few vegetables, raw carrots and corn being the two I remember. But with persistence, he is now a very well rounded vegetable eater and rarely complains. Two of my 3 boys will eat just about any vegetable cooked for them. One continues to resist but I continue to persevere.

Some of my favorite reading literature is centered around nutrition. I find it so interesting. I have learned that the children who eat the most and biggest variety of vegetables are the ones who have parents who purchase the most vegetables. It is simple exposure. These kids are more familiar with them and more likely to taste them. Studies show that food preferences and patterns of what children eat are largely shaped by the food purchased and the parents persistence in presenting foods over and over again, even when the children refuse. I once worked with a nutritionist who told me that some children may have to be "exposed" to a food 25 plus times before trying it and then more before accepting it.

All this talk about vegetables is because I think it is a similar process when it comes to teaching children to be declutter-ers. They must be exposed and taught this skill regularly and consistently, see us doing it and even when they resist, the message/idea must be kept alive by presenting it over and over again. Just like we want our children to have healthy eating habits, a healthy relationship with "stuff" will serve us throughout our lives.

Go find 10 and remember to eat your veges!

No comments:

Post a Comment