My favorite quote:

Keep what is worth keeping and with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away."

Dunah Mulock Craik

April 1826 - 12 October 1887

Your Clutter Free Journey

Take the first step on your Clutter Free Journey to living a beautiful, clutter free life! On your journey, you will examine your relationship with the stuff in your life and it's impact on your overall well-being. You will learn to make choices over what you invite into your home. The way we feel inside is directly reflected in our living spaces. In turn, our living spaces affect our internal well-being. By making small, steady changes in our living environment, we can change how we feel inside and make our homes a reflection of what is important to us.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

MeMe's Silver:

Day 4 of 100

I loved how the spoon felt heavy in my hand when I ate my cereal and how the fork heated up when we ate dinner, due to the temperature of the food. At MeMe's house we always used the silver when we ate. I don't think she even had other flat wear. This taught me so much about valuing what you love.

When I first was married, my grandmother's example had rubbed off on me and I decided that we would use our beautiful new wedding gifts. In fact, we had no stainless flatware for many years. (I did get a set when the children were young and I was finding good silver spoons in the yard, being used as shovels.) However, even during this time, we continued to use these gifts. Over the last 20 years, one spoon had a spin in the garbage disposal and a knife was inadvertently thrown away. All the enjoyment and pleasure from using these beautiful objects over the years outweighs any damage or monetary loss. The patina that develops on well loved items is more beautiful than objects in unused, perfect condition.

Is your China/Crystal/silver packed up in storage boxes/bags or tucked away and only used for the rarest occasion? What are you saving it for? Do you love it? If so, use it. So a piece gets broken, better used and loved than pristine and packed away. If you never use it and are saving it for your children, do you really think they will use it? It will be passed on and on for generations, until someone decides to get rid of it. Hey, your kids might not even like you pattern. But, if you do, USE IT! Appreciate the beauty in your life. You are creating your own ever-changing mural in your home and life. Fill it with beauty.

Let go of all you are holding on to that you do not love and that doesn't reflect beauty in your eyes! Begin using/honoring/displaying your treasures! Throw out what isn't special and take out of storage the items you love!

Happy decluttering! Have you found your 10?

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of "honoring what we love" by making space for it and using it regularly. I've been decluttering like crazy, and it does feel great! I actually made a little money today, too, by taking some things that I'd decluttered that were still in good shape to Once Upon a Child and to Plato's Closet. Yay! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete